Monday, March 1, 2010

Glanum, St. Remy, and St. Saturnin

We visited a really cool site near St. Remy called Glanum, which is an ancient Greco-Roman town. The whole thing is in ruins, but you can still see the remnants of all the buildings that used to be there and they even reconstructed one of the pillars to give visitors a sense of it's grandeur. I think it's one of my favourite sites that we went to because it reminded me of the Rome comic that I bought in Angouleme when I walked on the site the first time. It made me really happy.



Here are a few more images of the site itself. I do know the three columns in front of the very bright blue sky are a reconstruction, and not the actual pillars, but it's still really cool looking.














The first things that we saw when we got there are really the two most impressive and well-preserved structures, which are referred to as “les Antiques” triumphal arch celebrating Ceaser’s conquest of the Greeks and Gaul. I like this picture because I've been trained to take reference photos that portray depth of field and don't just show the structure, hence the tree in the foreground. Thank you Tom. Heck half my pictures are more for reference rather than to actually be touristy while I've been here.





Anyway....and the second is a mausoleum of sorts dating back to 30 BC. They are both very old and very well preserved. Which makes them very important indeed.









A few days later we went to St. Saturnin de les Apt which had this really cool old ruin of a medival chateau and an old unused church at the top of a large hill/small mountain that we hiked up to. It was very windy that day, so it was a little unnerving walking from where the chateau ruins were to were the church was, but still it was worth it. There was also a decent sized damn that was expanded from the original roman damn that you could still make out through the water.

I took so many pictures of this particular place because there is a scene in the pages that I was working on in Vis II and will be working on more in Senior that takes place in an old ruin and I really kind of liked the layout of the old chateau ruins so I might use that as reference.


This is a picture of the church. what I thought was cool was there was a path that went around the damn and led to the back of the church, which I think some of the other students didn't realize did that. There was also this random path that was blocked off that I wanted to follow because I am pretty sure that it lead down to the water in the damn, but by the time I had discovered I could walk around the whole thing it was getting too late and since I didn't have my phone with me to tell me what time it was, I didn't want to risk getting left behind.

No comments: